Are you ready to create a peaceful environment with children in your home?
Preparing for Christmas is supposed to be a joyful time, but it can be stressful for parents with young children.
Here are three ways you can prepare your home, mind, and heart to receive the peace of Christ this season:
1. Prepare Your Home with a Prayer Starter Set
Your family can work together to create a child-friendly space to pray.
Set aside a space that children can see and touch! Gather the following materials:
- Seasonal prayer cloth (purple or blue for Advent)
- Holy Bible
- Prayer card or scripture verse on a stand
- Candleholder and candle*
- Additional items your child selects
*Use LED candle if desired for safety
You may have all this at home already. If not, our artisan team is excited to support your family's walk with God!
Our limited-edition Advent 2020 Prayer Starter Set includes:
- Purple prayer cloth
- Original print of Isaiah 7:14
- Rustic wooden candleholder
- White soy candle
These are all the original work of artisans in Ashtabula County, Ohio. Pre-order by October 15, 2020 to receive in time for Advent!
2. Prepare Your Mind with Seasonal Family Activities
Holy Days remind us to mark our days by God's time. Every year we set aside special times to remember the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus.
During Advent and Christmas, when you gather at your family prayer area, read a scripture verse about the birth of the Messiah.
Here are some prophecies that predicted the King who was to come:
- Isaiah 7:14: he would be called Emmanuel or "God with us"
- Isaiah 9:1: the people in darkness have seen a great light
- Isaiah 9:5: more names for the King of Kings
- Micah 5:1: the King would be born in little Bethlehem
- Numbers 24:17b: a star and scepter would come from Israel
One verse, even one word, is often enough for very young children. Older children can listen to or read longer Bible verses. End this simple prayer time by repeating, chanting, or singing.
After reading the verse at the prayer table, offer some ways for your child to respond to God's Word.
Our seasonal Family Activity Sets include original:
- booklet for parents/adults praying with children
- bookmark with five seasonal scripture verses
- stationery for children to make prayer cards
- matching card memory game
Our theme for Advent 2020 is "O Come, Emmanuel." Pre-order by October 30 to receive by the end of November.
3. Prepare Your Heart to Bond More Deeply
"If you love me," Jesus told Peter, "feed my lambs."
Learn more about meeting the developmental and spiritual needs of your child!
Mustard Seed Training promotes the love of God and neighbor. We seek to aid families in creating a more loving home and a peaceful society. Families (and their supporters) can join us this season in three ways:
"Feed Your Child's Spirit"
Join parents Meagen Farrell, MA and Evan Howe, MD, MPH, PhD for an hour of insights, stories, and scripture to help you discover:
- How can I engage my young child in prayer?
- How should we share about illness, death and eternal life?
- What can I learn about parenting from Jesus's teachings?
- What should I expect of my child's behavior?
- When do I need outside help for my child?
"O Come, Emmanuel!"
All of our Family Prayer Sets include access to an online course offering guidance on praying with your child. The course includes printable downloads for making materials, along with practical guidance for creating a peaceful home through prayer.
If you are gathering or creating your own materials at home, you can still register to join us online.
Design Custom Family Prayer Sets
Looking to design sets of materials with guidance for families to practice their faith at home?
Whether your children are learning in person, hybrid, or completely at home, we can help!
Let's schedule a 20 minute phone call or Zoom meeting to discuss what sensory materials and faith formation you could be providing for families at home. If our artisan team can't provide what you need, we will refer you to someone who can!