Download these instructions that are included with our unfinished atrium materials.
"Additional sanding and finishing will extend the life of your materials. It gives you the opportunity to reflect on the scriptures, pray for the children you serve, and become a co-creator with God."
- Glue figures to bases before painting or finishing.
- Only assembly or painting is required before children can use materials, but finishing helps prevent future stains and splinters.
- When finishing, wear safety gear such as gloves, glasses, and dust mask. Put any used gloves or cloths directly into outside trash to avoid fires. Wash brushes thoroughly.
Suggested brands for finishing your materials*:
- 3M Medium Grit Sanding Sponges (finishing a lot of materials? Get a 12-pack)
- 3M Fine Grit Sandpaper
- Acrylic Paint Assorted Colors (value pack)
- FolkArt Acrylic Paint (professional grade)
- Set of 30 Paintbrushes
FINISHING METHOD (Choose one)
- Mineral Oil and Wax Mix: Butcher Block Conditioner (plain wood)
- Food Grade Mineral Oil (plain wood)
- Minwax Tung Oil Finish (plain, painted or stained wood)
- Rust-Oleum Clear Shellac (plain, painted or stained wood)
- Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane (plain, painted or stained wood)
MORE FAVORITE HOW-TO TIPS:
- This Old House: How to Paint Bare Wood
- Kin Community Video: How to Make Clothespin Dolls
- Spruce Crafts: Choose the Right Sandpaper
- Spruce Crafts: Hand Sanding for a Fine Finish
- Woodworking Forum: What Finish is Suitable for a Children's Toy?
- Jen Woodhouse: The Basics of Finishing Wood
- This Old House: All About Polyurethane
Want to see next month's specials, free downloads, and new additions to the collection? Sign up for our monthly email update, or follow us on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.
*Associate links provide us with a small commission when you purchase a product after clicking the link, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting our ministry.